Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What Am I Doing Here?

It's been another crazy semester, and I've no doubt lost my readers (all five of you) by not posting in so long. I've been suffering an existential crisis as to just what my blog is really all about.

I started blogging with the intention of writing about the business of software - and I will do so still from time to time - but it has been so long since my employment has dealt directly with coding that I feel I can no longer speak of it as an expert. When you're away from the front lines of software development, your memory of it becomes stale too quickly.

So I have to ask myself, who am I writing for and what would those people want to read? I will admit that I actually am writing for myself, but I do so with the suspicion that what I want to write, someone else may want to read.

For one thing, I think I will move most of my project pages off Google Pages, and turn them into blog posts from now on. Since Google has decided not to continue working on the Google Pages software, I don't know what will become of my website. Blogspot, on the other hand, has continued to improve, and I've learned how to add images to my posts.

I found that the most anecdotal narrative I've written yet, "Looting CompUSA", is also the one that rates highest on a Google search (indicating popularity). Clearly the personal touch does better than an intellectual essay.

One area that I've long neglected on this blog is my personal life. No more! My fiancee has asked why I don't talk about her on my blog, so let me start the new direction of my blog by announcing that I'm super excited because we just got our honeymoon trip booked!

No comments: