Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Neo Freerunner Arrives



It's here! It's finally here! My Secret Decoder Ring Neo Freerunner!




When you open the box, you're greeted by a quote from the Tao De Ching. I keep that same book on my desk. How cool is that?




The quote seems to be about the empty hole in the bottom of the phone. Funny, I figured that was where the rope goes.




Here's what you get in the box: a stylus, USB cable, a charger with plugs for various countries, and a 512MB SD card. The back side of the green card says "Thank you for your efforts to Free The Phone."




The Neo Freerunner comes with the coolest stylus I've ever seen. On the top side of the device is a laser pointer and a bright LED flashlight. The bottom of the device has a clever mechanism which when twisted one way extends a plastic stylus tip, but when twisted the other way reveals a ballpoint pen tip. Not quite a Sonic Screwdriver but close! I ended up using the flashlight on this thing just a few hours later when a thunderstorm knocked our light out.




The display on the phone is really quite beautiful.

4 comments:

Nick Johnson said...

Very cool, and congrats.

Some of my co-workers bought those as soon as they could. The interface is really rough, but the device has a lot of potential. I'm particularly excited by its GPS support (hard to get working) and its TCP/IP over GSM stack.

enjoy

Dennis said...

Thanks!

I was excited about using the TCP/IP over GSM until I saw what ATT&T charges for a data plan! They want more money for me to use the internet on my phone than I pay Cox to provide internet to my house! For that price I'll rely on my phone's built in wifi and ATT&T can stick it.

Yeah the interface has some spectacular problems. For instance, there's a terminal but they forgot to add a "/" key to the on screen keyboard!

Hopefully the new version of the OS which I'm in the process of re-flashing the phone with will fix these things, but the real exciting news is there's a version of Debian out for the phone now as well.

Anonymous said...

I have been using the FreeRunner as my primary phone for more then a month now. If you want a stable OS, go with the Qtopia port for the Freerunner. I've been very happy with it!

Dennis said...

Thanks for the tip, telegramsam. I hadn't known what Qtopia was, but I looked it up since you mentioned it. I'll definitely give it a try along with the new Debian port.