Thursday, April 12, 2007

Now I Have a Home Page Too!

Come see it at: http://system.windows.codeslinger.googlepages.com/home

This blog meets most of my needs, but I'm finding more and more cases where it just isn't enough. For instance, I want to include source code file downloads with some of my articles, and there isn't an easy way to do that through Blogspot. Fear not; my new web site does not replace this blog. I will be using my home page and the blog together.

I had been thinking about making a home page for quite a while now, and went to look for a paid web host tonight. I was just thinking, man, I wish Google did homepages too. That's when I stumbled upon http://pages.google.com/. Wow! My main concern when looking for a web host had been finding a site I can trust, and in that category Google definitely fits the bill! Since I already have a Google account, I had a page already waiting for me.

You really have to see the AJAX web page editor Google has come up with. It blew me away - working with it is like working on a Macintosh. Who needs the Windows desktop when javascript applications running in your browser have now surpassed traditional desktop apps in quality of service?

Anyhow, take a look. I'll have to warn you, I don't really "get" web design. So I will be keeping the site clean and simple to cover up the fact that I don't know how to do fancy. In the movie Walk the Line, when June Carter asked him how they get such a steady sound, Johnny Cash's character just looks sheepish and says: "Well, we'd play faster if we could."

No comments: